Upcoming Meeting Dates:
August 3, 2023
September 7, 2023
October 5, 2023
November 2, 2023
December 8, 2023
All meetings will be held at:
Bearden Banquet Hall
5806 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37919
2023 BOARD LEADER CERTIFICATE COURSE
This course is designed to help Board members understand their role in their community associations, and to give them practical tools to be effective leaders. It is offered to Board members of community associations that are served by management companies which are members of the Tennessee Chapter of the Community Associations Institute (CAI-TN).
- • The Cost is $20 per person per session and includes breakfast for each session.
- • Board members do not have to be members of CAI to participate.
- • Each session will begin at 9:00 am and will last between 90 minutes and 2 hours.
August 3 (Thursday) Governing Documents and Roles & Responsibilities
Board members will learn to be able to identify, read and discuss the basics of governing documents, and understand the different types of property ownership in community associations.
- • The types of documents and the order of their authority
- • Functions, roles and responsibilities of the Board, the officers and the managing agent
- • Types of committees and their roles
- • When to seek guidance of professional partners
September 7 (Thursday) Communications, Meetings and Volunteerism
Board members will analyze and apply factors that contribute to effective communication, preparing for and conducting meetings and motivating homeowners to participate.
- • Recognize four factors for assessing a leader’s communication effectiveness
- • Requirements and effective practices for conducting meetings and elections
- • Three ways to build volunteerism – with examples
October 5 (Thursday) Fundamentals of Financial Management
Board members will learn effective practices for protecting the association’s assets, preparing budgets, using reserve studies for financial planning, and determining and collecting the assessments needed for the organization to function smoothly.
- • Reserve Studies: planning for the future
- • Preparing a budget
- • Collecting assessments
November 2 (Thursday) Professional Advisors, Service Providers and Insurance
Board members will learn about effective practices for selecting appropriate professional advisors and service providers. Also, an insurance specialist will discuss the types of insurance coverages needed for community associations, including Directors and Officers.
- • Evaluating service providers
- • Extending an offer and accepting bids
- • Things to consider when obtaining insurance
December 8 (Friday) Association Rules and Conflict Resolution
Board members will learn to recognize and apply the criteria needed to determine whether rules already adopted or proposed are valid under the association’s documents, with consideration of applicable state and federal laws. Attendees will also evaluate the procedure for developing, adopting, and enforcing rules. They will also compare methods to resolve conflicts to avoid litigation when possible.
- • Six criteria to determine whether a rule is valid, and procedure for developing rules
- • Steps for enforcing association rules
June 9, 2023 Lunch & Learn Photos
Great job by the CAI Knoxville group! Well attended by boards & managers and great relevant presentations that were well received by all! One of the better attended events by board members in the state of TN for a CAI event. Your hard work contacting board members definitely showed!
Chuck Negas, President